Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Sort it Out Charlotte Tilbury

I feel like Charlotte Tilbury has had quite an easy ride to the top of the beauty industry. All things considered it is still a relatively young brand as it was only started less than 10 years ago but it is now considered alongside brands which have decades on this baby brand.


The main factor which has given Charlotte Tilbury an advantage over other brands is social media. Charlotte Tilbury is often the most spoken about brand on social media and I see it a lot on Instagram purely because the products are beautifully packaged, I don't think anyone can deny that. I have used Charlotte Tilbury products in many of my pictures on Instagram solely because they are so pretty.

Over the years I have tried a lot of Charlotte Tilbury products, with varying results. Some of the products have been some of my absolute favourites: I adore the Filmstar Bronze and Glow Palette, the Eyes to Mesmerise in Star Gold and Rose Gold are constantly part of my eye looks and I really like the Pillow Talk Quad.

However, I have also tried some real duffs. The biggest issue I have found is inconsistency within products that are supposed to be part of the same line, namely the lipsticks. I have spoken about this a couple of times on my blog but I have tried multiple lipsticks from the Matte Revolution range and some of them are incredible whereas others have been crap. They are all supposed to be part of the same collection but some of them are barely pigmented, they are questionably matte and they do not last very long.

The inconsistency of the brand is one of the reasons that I began limiting how much I buy from the brand. I do not want to question whether or not each individual item is going to work for me, I want to know it is going to work and I don't have that safety when I use Charlotte Tilbury products.

Even though I have mentioned this many times, it is currently not my biggest gripe with the brand. At the moment I see no reason to buy anything from the brand for multiple reasons which I wanted to share with you today. Please know that these are my own thoughts and are just some opinions I have made from looking at their new in sections and generally from what I have seen by looking at the brand. It does not mean that I won't buy from the brand again, it is just some of the annoyances I have with the brand.

Limited Edition vs. Permanent 

When Charlotte Tilbury initially launched the brand I loved the concept she had. She basically created 10 beauty looks and you could buy the entire look or certain items that would help to create that look. The entire looks are just under £200 but if you want one staple look and do not want to have to work out what is going to work together, these are perfect. This is the type of beauty shopping my mother loves.

However, as the brand has grown in popularity this model seems to have been dropped in favour of individual products. I don't mind this as I wouldn't commit myself to one look anyway but I feel like this could be a missed opportunity. The latest products have not been launched as a part of an entire look (other than Pillow Talk and you can only get it online, not in store).

I especially feel like the Charlotte Darling palette could have an entire look as there is a Charlotte Darling Hollywood Lips and they could have paired these together for Charlotte's ultimate look. I feel like this is sort of a missed opportunity. In my eyes the only time they shouldn't be creating an entire look with a palette they have launched is when they are limited editions but I guess that is where the problem comes in and it brings me to my first major problem with the brand.

For some reason everything seems to initially launch as a limited edition and conveniently never seems to go away. Quite a few times I have seen a palette I have completely loved, rushed to buy it as it is a 'limited edition' and then quietly it is made permanent. It creates this mass hype around the product and quite often they sell out which creates demand, after a couple of relaunches, the brand eventually makes the product permanent. It is so bloody annoying.

I made a real effort to get the Pillow Talk Quad in its first drop and then about 2 months later they decided it was going to be permanent. Of course it was going to be permanent. The lipstick is still one of their best sellers and why wouldn't the quad follow in its footsteps. I feel like this was always going to be a part of their permanent collection but they had a clear marketing scheme in order to boost sales early on. In a way I respect this but I have to say it gets old. MAC has got a lot of shit for having too many limited editions and I feel like people are going to have the same issue with Charlotte Tilbury soon.

The Expansion of Pillow Talk

Speaking of Pillow Talk, this is actually my next annoyance with the brand. I am sort of sick of seeing the same 'product' being launched. When the Pillow Talk quad initially launched I was super excited but as they have continued to create products under the Pillow Talk umbrella, I've got to say I am fed up of it.

The lipstick was an instant hit for the brand and I can understand, it is the perfect universal nude shade. I loved the palette and I thought the colours would be so wearable for daytime. At this point it was a 4 piece collection but then they went wild. There was a massive expansion with a £60 palette, different tones of the lipstick, another blush and an eyeliner. I actually bought the liner and the palette. The palette was 20% off so I thought I would get it because these are the colours I use everyday but I feel like the name Pillow Talk has been stretched a little bit.

The brand seems to use Pillow Talk even though the colours do not necessarily line up with the shade of the original lipstick. I look at the left hand side of the large Pillow Talk palette, and I can see Pillow Talk in it but the metallic magenta on the right end is not Pillow Talk. Also the Pillow Talk liner is a gorgeous deep burgundy liner which is a stunning shade but it isn't Pillow Talk. I feel like they have really made the most of this one product that has done well for them without any real concern of carrying on the actual shade.

One thing I will say about the Pillow Talk palette is there are quite a few matte shades which is unusual for a Charlotte Tilbury palette and I do like that. However I want to see something new from the brand and relaunching Pillow Talk for the 20th time is not doing that.

The Same Products Being Launched

Where do I even begin with the topic of products looking the same? One of my friends actually won't talk about Charlotte Tilbury with me because she cannot stand how expensive it all is for products which all look the same. You can definitely see that they create the same products on their Instagram as all of their looks on their Instagram are the same. Have a scroll through the pictures and you will basically see glowing skin with a soft pink or golden eye shadow.

Back to the products being the same, I have even spoken about it before on my Instagram. I showed a side by side of the Christmas Gorgeous-Glowing-Skin Instant Look in a Palette and the newer Stoned Rose Palette, they literally look the same! There is a subtle difference but it is not enough to justify that these are even two different products.
Dreamgasm Palette
The Queen of Glow Palette


These two palettes aren't even the only example of two palettes which look the same. When I saw the new The Queen of Glow Quad I was instantly reminded of the Dreamgasm Quad from last Summers limited collection. Honestly I've included pictures of them both and they are incredibly similar. The only shade which is truly different is the smoke shade: in one palette you have a brown and one a plum. I love the colour scheme but why give them different names when they are essentially the same. If you've bought one, you simply do not need the other.

Even worse, The Rebel Palette. Where do I even beginning? So The Rebel palette was reformulated and changed so it was a more khaki palette earlier this year. The change between the two palettes was more drastic than the difference between all of the similar palettes I have already mentioned. I was already confused by this but then the brand launched their 'Colour Coded' collection which is designed to emphasis your eye colour. Fine, I can get on board with this idea, however the palette for Hazel eyes is called Green Lights, which is actually The Rebel palette?! Why the hell has it been renamed for this collection. I feel like this is unnecessarily misleading and also lazy. Every other eye colour gets a new palette and Hazel eyes don't? In that case, I don't understand why they relaunched The Rebel before this collection and didn't just do it as part of this collection? To me this is shady.

I just feel like there isn't a big enough colour difference between the products that we currently seeing being launched. I understand that they are a more enhancing brand rather than an artistic brand, but it would still be nice to see something different from the brand. I have been keeping an eye on the new quad collection and the only one that has sold out is the blue one, could this be because it is the only one that is actually different from something you can buy in their standard collection? 


I really love the concept of the brand which is to enhance rather than to drastically change the way you look. As someone who is not a makeup artist this truly appeals to me and is the sort of look I go for but unfortunately it seems there is only so much you can do with this concept. How many times can you remake Pillow Talk?

I wanted to share some of my thoughts on the brand. I do regularly buy from the brand and I do love quite a lot of the products but I wanted to share my annoyance with the brand as I feel like it is something a lot of us think but won't necessarily talk about it.

This week I am sort of doing a Charlotte Tilbury week as I have 2 other posts going up about some of the products I have recently purchased from the brand. Some of the products are stunning but I just think there needs to be more variety and less of this 'limited edition' business. I would love to know some of your thoughts on the brand and if you agree with me.


You might also like:

Fave Highlighters
Cream Eye Shadows
Bar of Gold
Tom Ford Vs Charlotte Tilbury
Pillow Talk Quad







Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar